03/10/2012

MEETING FRIENDS

And by friends I mean internet friends. I always started blogging as a way to show my working methods in my illustration. Bits and pieces that inspire me - other work I love and my own books and illustration. Recently as you know I have included Stanley in my blog as he is obviously the main part of my life and this has led me down a different blogging path and into the paths of other like minded bloggers. I am not one normally for the whole social networking scene. I'm not on twitter, I don't have time for it and I know I'd be too concincious about how many followers I'd have...I'm needy like that! So when I started blogging and being brave enough to come out of the woodwork (or lurking I think it's called in the internet world!) and comment on a few nice blogs I started to feel good. Meet other like minded Mums that were blogger Mums but not typical mummy bloggers if you see what I mean! In that group I have met designers, makers, vintage collectors, inspiring workers and generally amazing Mums. I'm really enjoying blogging at the moment, I feel relaxed about it all, happy to blog as and when I feel I need to. I just wished I could jet all over the place to meet these new people in the flesh. For the time though I'm happy seeing what they are up to in the world of cyberspace and planning a few more UK based trips. A while ago I recieved the most amazing parcel from one of my favourite bloggers Jenny. (Who unfortunately is stopping blogging in just a few short days) She had a vintage sale online and was good enough to send to the UK. She slippped in an extra goodie for me and wrote the sweetest note, what a thoughtful touch from someone I have never officially met.




I'm happy to have 'met' people like her, and hope to continue to do so. As we speak I am off tomorrow to meet up with two bloggers I know on-line but have yet to meet in real life. I'm looking forward to the little trip down to Bristol to see Abbi and Fritha. I don't feel weird about it, I know we'll get on because we've all been chatting for almost a year. I do sometimes feel though that I have to justify my friendship - like other people think it's odd. It feels sometimes that the word 'internet friend' is a dirty word. Which is silly because I remember before the internet days penpal was never a dirty word - it was encouraged to keep up correspondence and find out about other lives around the world. I think any friend no matter how you know them is still a friend. That is not to say the my friends round the corner mean any less or more, they are just there for me in a different way. Jenny posted a great piece about it on her blog recently and the sentiments she expressed I totally agree with. Heck if it wasn't so far and so expensive I'd be making trips to see Jenny herself, Drea and Ashley if they'd have me and Stanley for a visit!!!

10 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more. I feel like people look at me like a complete weirdo when I call someone my friend even though I've never met them, which is ridiculous. It's absolutely possible to get to know someone and have a connection with them without ever meeting them. Thank you for sharing this great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Jenny's post on friends and feel the same way. I competely relate to all you have said. I was inspired to do my own take on it, but have yet to put pen to paper or fingers to keys or whatever. But you said it, the internet is a great way to connect like-minded people. It makes the world feel small and more connected. I've been to England twice- once with family and once to visit a family I worked for as an au pair in France... should another visit be in our future, I'd definitely be swinging by your neck of the woods :) xo. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an excellent package (I would be thrilled to see Dick Whittington and His Cat arrive on my doorstep). I recently stumbled over to your blog from Drea's, and I've been having a blast reading your entries and gawking at your art. Love it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to say, thank you for this. I'm so happy to have found you (and sweet Stan!) and your amazing talent. giant xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, Jenny are an inspiration. And I hope to still 'see' you around the internet world xxx

      Delete
  5. Was so lovely to meet you and Stanley today, I knew you would be lovely and Stanley is so adorable, and what manners! He is a credit to you, hope to make it to Brighton in the new year so will hopefully see you again then! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was too short Fritha, but I hope to be back. And if you are ever this way....you and mr.wilf would be very welcome for a cuppa and cake xx

      Delete
  6. Yey we had a such an awesome day! It didn't feel like you we're a stranger at all, like we'd been hanging out all together for ages! I could have happily sat in that cafe all day with you and fritha having a good old natter (perhaps without restless babies)
    And a glass of wine or two!

    I hope we can have more meet ups in the future, and we'll definitely be arranging our trip to Brighton soon too! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was so easy wasn't it Abbi. We just picked up on conversations we'd already been having and chatted like we'd met in the 'flesh' many times before!!
    Let me know if you are in my neck of the woods and I'll take you up on that glass of wine offer! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been feeling like this lately, too! Relationships from blogging can be so comforting yet somehow feel weird. A friend is a friend though!
    Your package is absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Sarah Dyer - Blog